The Gannett Foundation Grant Program
As a member of the Gannett Company, Incorporated, The News-Press makes contributions through grants to qualified nonprofit organizations. This process is called The Gannett Foundation grant program. It is instituted by our parent company to help local newspapers invest in their communities. The Foundation allocates a specific amount to each newspaper annually to award grants. This is done in order to improve the education, health, and advancement of people who live in our community.
Any 501(c)3 organization that serves people in need in the Southwest Florida area may apply for the grant. The application deadlines for 2013 are February 15 and August 15. To apply just send a copy of the application to The News-Press. You may print a copy of the application by selecting the link below.
Mail the completed form with enclosures to:
Julie Ledbetter c/o The News-Press
2442 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd
Fort Myers, FL 33901
Following the submission of your application you may receive a phone call requesting additional information. If your application is incomplete, we will contact you once to obtain the missing information. Your prompt response to this inquiry/request will facilitate the handling of your grant request. It typically takes three to four months to process and review all applications and distribute grant checks.
Frequently Asked Questons
- Our program is national in scope but our offices are in a Gannett community. Are we eligible?
- Not usually. We fund no national or regional organizations at the community grant level. If your organization has a program or project, which benefits only the local community, feel free to inquire
- Does the Foundation fund events?
- Occasionally, yes. Community festivals, parades, etc. are part of the fabric of our communities, and local newspapers and TV stations like to participate. Fundraising events are a separate issue. Rather than contribute funds to support event costs, the Foundation prefers to make contributions, which provide direct program support. There are also private foundation limitations regarding full tax deductibility and acceptance of free tickets, discounted admissions, and the like, which provide a tangible benefit to our employees and/or the company. These benefits generally cannot be accepted.
- Does the Foundation make grants to individuals?
- No. As a private foundation, we must make all grants to IRS code 501(c)(3) public charities.
- When does the News-Press review grants?
- Twice a year. February and August.
- Do we need to submit our IRS exemption letter?
- Yes, the 501(c)(3).
- If we apply, when can we expect an answer?
- 60 to 90 days after final approval by the Foundation.
- Do you accept applications online?
- Not at this time, but we are looking into the possibility.
- Who do we contact for adtitional information or special inquiries?
- For additional information, please contact Julie Ledbetter at The News-Press at 239-335-0251.
- What is the average grant amount?
- Our grants average from $1,000-$10,000
- Do you give multiyear grants?
- No, we do not award multi-year grants. In fact, grants are given to organizations every other year. If you receive a grant, you are not qualified to apply the next year and must wait to apply.